AOPA Flying Companions Course
Leicestershire Aero Club now offers the AOPA Flying Companions Certificate Course. The course has been designed to increase the enjoyment, participation and confidence in flying for those who regularly accompany private pilots. This includes the safe recovery and landing at an appropriate airfield as a result of a simulated emergency.
The AOPA Flying Companion’s Course has been structured to enable those who fly regularly with a Private Pilot Licence (PPL) holder to be more involved in the flight and, therefore, more confident when flying as a passenger.
- To increase the enjoyment, participation and confidence in flying for those who regularly accompany private pilots Completion of at least 10 hours of briefings/ lectures given by a flight instructor at a level appropriate to the requirements of the course.
- Safe recovery and landing at an appropriate airfield as a result of a simulated emergency. This is not conducted as a test and use of Emergency Services may be made if available.
Satisfactory completion of the course will enable the candidate to obtain the Flying Companions Certificate.
The course consists of a minimum of eight hours dual flying with a qualified Flight Instructor conducted within a period of 12 months. This would normally be undertaken in the type of aircraft regularly flown with the student taking control from the appropriate passenger seat.
Theoretical Knowledge Instruction
- Subjects covered:
- Air Law
- Principles of Flight
- Human Performance & Limitations
- Subjects covered:
- Effects of controls
- Making use of instruments
- Aircraft systems that need to be monitored
- Use of the radio and transponder
- How circuits are flown at an airfield
- Understand the aeronautical map
- How to use the Emergency Services
- Cockpit familiarisation
- Use of radio
- Using controls in flight
- Flying straight and Level
- Climb, descend and turn
- Make a safe landing
- Reading an aeronautical map in the air
- A simulated emergency
The price based on a Cessna 152 Including:
- 8 Hours flying with an instructor
- 10 Hours ground school
- Monthly Club Membership
- AOPA Flying Companions Certificate
Price for PA 28, Cessna 172, or own aircraft on request.